UNIT STANDARD coaching the fundamental principles of competitive swimming NQF Level 4, Credits 8
The following are the only entry points to the course:
(a) Learn to swim bridging certificate; OR
(b) SSA learn to swim certificate.
The following documents must be included in the final Portfolio of Evidence (POE):
- Valid First Aid Level 1 (SAQA Unit Standard- 119567) registered with a SETA (quality assurance partners) if the certificate is older than one year, it must be accompanied by the latest CPR certificate.
- Have the latest police clearance/name clearance –(only valid for a year)
- 1 certified and dated copy of ID (less than 6 months)
- 1 certified copy of a valid and clean Name/ full police clearance
- ID size photo
Duration of the Course (including the practical assessment): 8 months
(including availability of on mentors who will give 4 hours of their time to mentor and guide you through the learning journey. Non-refundable if candidates decided to drop out).
The Purpose of learning programme is to:
- Assist the coaches for competitive swimmers display competency required to operate as a coach in support of the coaching of the basic skills of competitive swimming to individuals who already mastered basic swimming and aquatic skills in order to generate interest and to encourage new entrance to swimming as a competitive sport
- Assist coaches to acquire skills required to coach beginners to intermediate swimmers the essential skills of the sport and prepare the individual or team for competitive swimming on a junior level
- Equip coaches who may be interested in working in a school, community club or organisation, as part of a multi-disciplinary team, under the supervision of a senior coach
- Equip coaches who may be interested in working on his/her own, coaching competitive swimming at beginner to intermediate level.
At the end of the training, the learners are expected to:
- Coach the laws governing competitive swimming
- Identify safety requirements for competitive swimming
- Plan and implement practice sessions
- Coach the skills and conditioning of swimming
- Review coaching sessions.